Thursday, January 22, 2009

New store opening: June

I had heard about the opening of designer resale boutique June a few weeks ago, but hadn't checked it out until I received an ecstatic call from a stylish friend about it. I'm not usually too impressed with the selection at Twin Cities' resale shops; typically they're packed with frumpy garments that aren't current but aren't old enough to be vintage, and mid-range designers like Ann Taylor that hardly qualify as high-end.

But stepping into June, I immediately sensed a difference. The tucked-away gem located at Lyndale Avenue and 34th Street feels like the kind of shop you'd find all over Paris - whimsical enough to be charming, uncluttered enough to be modern. Half the store is taken up by a "shoe boutique" with names like Christian Lacroix, Lanvin, Cynthia Vincent, and Chloe (priced at $30-200). Elsewhere in the store are an oversized birdcage displaying gorgeous shoes, a mannequin donning a rare Oscar de la Renta showroom piece (a silk corset trimmed in ostrich feathers for $150) and racks of clothing lining the shop, filled but not overflowing with lines like Theory, D&G, Marc by Marc Jacobs (ranging in price from $30-150).



Owner Daune Stinson has a keen eye for quality over quantity. She is a rare proprietor who does resale right - it's clearly about the integrity of each item, not just a designer tag. If you have any good-quality designer pieces gathering dust in your closet, bring them in for cash - Daune is always looking for more merchandise, and buys out-right (as opposed to consignment).

June is located at: 3406 Lyndale Av. S., Mpls. 612-354-3970.
http://www.juneresale.com/


Check out my write-up on June in this week's print edition of Vita.mn.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know how much Daune buys outright for new designer dresses over $5,000? I want to consign my dresses, but dont want it to be rip off because all my dresses are new with tags and I paid full prices for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know myself, but I would suggest stopping in and having her assess what you have. There's really no way to say unless you physically bring them in.

    ReplyDelete